Sunday, February 27, 2011

Spring in the air!

While it is still officially three weeks away, it is clear to me that spring is on the way.

And, with that, a clear uptick in the running vibe.

I spent the last week back east visiting my new school and enjoying the trails of Central Virginia. The crocuses were coming out and the smell of spring was fully in the air (you know the smell, it is that of life and death together).

This is, indeed, the time of year that I always turn to running in a more intense, more visceral way than any other time of year. Knowing that Western States is less than four months away always helps but what is more is the pure delight I take in the daily training, the daily exercise of coming into form, the daily ritual of getting better, even after all these years. While it may seem mundane to some, the daily grind of 100-mile training is what I live for and is, ultimately, what keeps me going day after day, mile after mile.

I have said for the past couple of years that the races are what make the training worthwhile but it is the training that makes the life worthwhile. So, as the dark days of winter give way to the ever-expanding light of spring I look forward to those runs that get easier as they get longer and longer as they get easier. For that, my friends, is what it's all about.

5 comments:

Michael Alfred said...

You are nothing if not a poet. I'm expecting a big year, no pressure though.

Sophie Speidel said...

I did a track workout at Monticello HS last Wednesday a.m. and thought of you---that you would probably love to run up Carter's Mountain (the mountain behind Tandem and MHS) and then hammer out a few repeats on the MHS track!

Where did you end up running? I need to show you the trails on Carter's if you haven't found them already. Call me the next time you come to town!

krsinc said...

Well said Coach!

Koz said...

"The races are what make the training worthwhile but it is the training that makes the life worthwhile."
That quote is worthy of inclusion with a full color, full page running mag photo...

Good luck this year with the move back East and continuing to let 'er rip on the trails while establishing a new home base. Hopefully we'll cross paths at some point. - Koz

Justus Stull said...

Hey AJW, I just read your 2010 review on Craig Thornleys Blog. You mention you are a married Headmaster with kids. To me you have been the "everymans" elite. How about a blog posting with a few tips on how to fit training in with a job / wife / kids. I think a lot of us, including me, are in this situation.

Thanks,

Justus