Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Update

Been a while since I've written so I thought I'd check in. No real reason for not posting other than the fact that I've been super busy at work and I've been taking it easy running.

That said, November is the month that, for me, always symbolizes the slow, gradual build-up to Western States. I know it might sound strange to some folks that I start training in November for a run that takes place in late-June but it has worked for me in the past so I guess, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Anyway, my volume has settled into the 60 mpw range for now and I have pushed back my 5 min mile attempt until the Tuesday before Thanksgiving. Between now and then I'll run two 5k races (one road and one xc) and in between I'll keep hammering on the track. Saturday I managed 4x400 on pace and also threw in some 200's faster than pace so, we'll see.

Check this out from RunJunkie's Twitter feed:

http://www.twitvid.com/93555

And finally, congrats to...
Meb on the big NYC win.
Padre Angulo on the WS qualifier.
And Dave James on a killer Javelina CR.

From my perspective Dave's run at JJ is 3rd for POY.

6 comments:

Scott Dunlap said...

Dave James crushed it, eh? It's hard to fathom going that hard for 100 miles. I hope his kidneys survive. ;-)

TD said...

AJ- are you running @ the NNW regional XC race on 11/14? If so, I'll see you there.

Unknown said...

AJW,

Good luck in your 5 minute mile attempt. It sounds like you are well "on track" to meeting your goal.

On a different note, someday I hope you write a post on how you are able to fit in all the training, racing, work, marriage and fatherhood together.

A married ultrurunners' partner has got to be fully on board for the trip, other wise it seems the sport is more tailored to folks that are either single, childless, or whose children have already grown up.

This year, running ultras has presented some real challenges, the absolute LEAST of which has been on how to run up and down mountain trails for ultra distances as efficiently as possible.

There is a certain transition to this life that a family has to make collectively, or it just "ain't" gonna happen.

Frankly, I do not know how you successfully do all this, and that's why I hope someday there is a reflective post on it by you, or by someone else that has successfully accomplished it for years.

Best of luck to you in ALL of your races and trail runs.

AJW said...

TD,

Yes, my son Logan and I will be running in the regionals on 11/14. See you there!

And Robert, I will write a post based on your recommendation sometime in the next couple weeks. Thanks for the suggestion.

AJW

Unknown said...

AJW,

Thanks. I truly appreciate it.

Maybe others, will share their bits of collective wisdom on this as well, when some space clears and you are able to publish your thoughts on it.

Will be rooting for your son as well, on 11/14.

Take care.

Justin Angle said...

thanks for the shout-out, AJW! Enjoy the speedwork...you might need it again on the Auburn track!