Sunday, June 1, 2008

500 Miles

I just added up my May mileage and was surprised to see I had 508 miles for the month. The last time I did a 500 mile month was May, 2005. It has certainly been a while but it feels good, nonetheless. I get sore walking up stairs, my feet hurt every morning when I get out of bed, and I can't seem to get enough to eat, ever. In short, it's that familiar feeling a month before Western States

So, going into the last two weeks of hard training for Western States, I think I am on target. One more track workout on Thursday will give me an indication of footspeed and then it will come down to a few more hard days in the mountains and a good rest.

This weekend was a decent indicator of where I am. I did a 28 miler on rolling terrain in 4 hours yesterday and then a 35 miler today with over 7k of climbing in 5:45. I still need to do a bit of last-minute quad seasoning on the course as well as some more heat training but with 26 days to go until the Big Dance I think I'll be fine in that department. All in all, I'm happy to be getting in to the home stretch and I do think there's something to be said for that long-term muscle memory.

Happy June!

AJW

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a big month, AJW. Not Anton-big, but for an old guy that's a lot of miles.

When do you do the chairlift downhill repeats at the ski area?

LB

keith said...

Andy,

Nice Mileage!!

As a blogger on my blog roll, I'm personally taking the time to inform you that

Keith-In-Training has a new address!

Please visit:

http://www.keith-in-training.com/

Make sure to update any feed reader subscriptions, as well by clicking the "subscribe" links as well!

You can delete this after you have updated your feed reader and/or bookmarks. I just didn't have your email.

Thanks!

Brad Mitchell said...

Nice work Andy - Yea, not Anton big but doesn't he estimate his miles? So what is Anton big?

Keep it up, stay healthy, I'll be joining you soon on the trail.

Anonymous said...

I tried to submit a massive caloric donation to your institution of learning and my government sanctioned delivery and distribution service was denied at the pearly gates due to incomplete delivery information remitted by the headmaster of said, aforementioned institution.

therefore, an attempt to remit the donation will be made again at Monkeyboy Camp Version 1.0

Between now and then, you'll need to research and provide information about the following "List of Moves"

1. The Jim Henson
2. The Pink Glove
3. The New York Style Taco
4. The Chili Dog

Thank You.

Monkeyboy
if the king can do it. you damn well should be able to.

Monkeyboy

Anonymous said...

Andy,
Great job with your training. They'll be some fast boyz up front it will be interesting to see how many of pieces of wreckage you pick off before the end of the race.

I drove 1828 miles back to Cedar Rapids after a tough weekend training in Sisters, so I more than tripled your mileage!

I too am on my final couple of key workouts and sharpening my 24 hour speed for States! This week is my final peak week....
Monday - 90 min
Tues - 30 min am, pm - 10x800, 75 min
Wed - 60 min
Th - 30 min am, 60 min pm with 30 min tempo
fri - 30 min am, 20 min pm with 6x200
sat - 6.5 hours hill repeats, Galena Ill. ski resort, get at least 70-90 minutes of descent time
sunday - run as far as I can on the flat rollers in the heat and humidity of Iowa..5-7 hours

At States, I figure if I walk where it's hard to run and run where it's easy to run, I should get there! So much for my technical approach.....

I got some press, you know ultrarunning isn't big in Iowa when a 24 hour dude gets press...

http://www.gazetteonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080602/SPORTS/6076370&SearchID=73319632543665

I have really enjoyed reading your blog, I'm still hurt you don't have me up there with Anton and the boys in your picks....(yeah...right,not).....

God Bless,

-CB

Anonymous said...

Andy,

I am in he Education business too as an Elementary Music teacher in Phoenix.

I have run two 50K ultras and saw you run in the 2007 Javalina 100.

Anyway, Isn't it a great escape or balancing activity from or shared daily grind?

Good luck to you in California at
WS 100.
Sincerely,

Andy

Anonymous said...

V酒店經紀人,菲梵酒店經紀,酒店經紀,禮服酒店上班,酒店小姐,便服酒店經紀,酒店打工,酒店寒假打工,酒店經紀,酒店經紀,專業酒店經紀,合法酒店經紀,酒店暑假打工,酒店兼職,便服酒店工作,酒店打工經紀,制服酒店經紀,專業酒店經紀,合法酒店經紀,酒店暑假打工,酒店兼職,便服酒店工作,酒店打工,酒店經紀,制服酒店經紀,酒店經紀