Thursday, December 9, 2010

Western States Coaching

Over the past few years I have taken on a few running coaching clients here and there who have been interested in getting a bit faster or, more often, going a bit longer. The relationships have been very informal, primarily conducted over email, and really fun for me. In the past year or so several people have asked me if I would be interested in conducting more specific coaching sessions for people training for and running Western States. Given the fact that I have run the race seven times and have spent countless hours on the course these folks have suggested that there might be interest out there in such a product.

So, this post is to ask the readers of this blog what you think. I would like to outline customized six-month training plans designed for each runner based on abilities, past results, mileage, etc...that I would gather through a brief questionnaire. Then, these plans would begin on or around January 1st and would, of course, culminate at the Big Dance. If there is sufficient interest I'd also like to conduct two on-course clinics; one on and around the weekend of the American River 50 (April 9th) and the other during the Memorial Day Weekend Training Camp. In addition, I would, of course be available for email and phone consultations throughout the training cycle.

If you are interested in this or if you know someone who might be please contact me via email at:

ajwruns@gmail.com

Thanks!

8 comments:

Scott Dunlap said...

If I was running this year, I would be all over it. The gems I pick up from the veterans while running on the trail are super-helpful. I scoured your blog like crazy before my first run.

So you're starting a coaching thing while getting ready for a new job and moving across the country? Might as well learn some Farsi while you're at it!

SD

AJW said...

Thanks Scott. And, you're right, I am doing this at a time when I am pretty busy with other things. But, I have been wanting to give this a go for awhile and I think this year it could be really great. Plus, since I have hall passes for AR and the Mem Day Camp I figured, what the heck!

Craig Thornley said...

I need to take 8 hours off a friend in the next three years at WS. Think you could help me do it? Would give you a big tip if goal is accomplished.

Sophie Speidel said...

As someone who benefited from your coaching for Grindstone 100 in 2009, I will gladly spread the word! I have a few friends who are entered in WS and one who is planning to Slam, so I will send her your contact info :-)

Bryon Powell said...

I'd like to beat LB. Can you tell me how?

AFib Runner said...

If I was you, I would generalize it to any 100 miler, not just WS, since doing so would increase the market size by 10x. You might not have the course insights for AC, CC, HR, LD, RDL or others, but there are lots of newbies who would be interested in some help.

amy said...

Is the cost of a training program still payable with beer?

Unknown said...

Andy I've got to say what you have done to me in 6 weeks is incredible. I can not wait to see what the next 6 bring. While I curse you daily on my workouts, the progress I see just fuels my motivation for the next run.