Thursday, October 25, 2007

The Andy Slam

OK, I know it's not on the list of various "Slams" posted on Stan Jensen's website but it is mine all the same. And, I must admit, it's been fun. Beginning with Western States in June and finishing (hopefully) with Javelina on Saturday I will have completed four 100 mile races this season.

In many ways, this has been a breakthrough year for me. While I have had success in 100's before this year I had never won one. Now I know what it feels like and I'm hooked. It'll be interesting to see how all that plays out next year when I have a go at the "real" Grand Slam (assuming I can get into Wasatch!).

As for the upcoming race at Javelina I am really psyched. It looks like there will be some competition there and it is expected to be hot (93 degrees at last check). It's also taking place in my old training grounds in one of the most beautiful desert parks in the country.

So, my plan at this point is to run the first two loops pretty hard and then back off a bit during the heat of the day. If that strategy works out I'll then try to push the pace in the late afternoon and evening and hope for the best. My guess is I'll be eating Succeed! Caps like peanuts.

I'll write again after the race.

5 comments:

Bryon Powell said...

Andy,
I've got some good news for you, if you cross the finish line at the first three grand slam races, you are automatically in Wasatch, so long as you enter the slam and do your trail work.

From the Wasatch website:

You will be allowed to run the 2008 Wasatch 100 if you satisfy the following requirements:

1) Grand Slam hopefuls must apply for the Wasatch Front 100 Mile Endurance Run in a timely manner as do all other entrants. Applications not postmarked during the specified application period will be returned to sender.

2) You must also apply to the Grand Slam through Steve Baugh in a timely manner.

3) You must successfully complete the first three races in the grand slam.

4) Your completed trail work form for the Wasatch 100 must be postmarked no later than the August 18th deadline.

Theresa said...

Andy,
I hope you have a great race this weekend!
I decided to check out your blog recently for some training insights...
I have been working full time since school started as the school secretary at a charter school here in the Boise area. I'm also a mom of three and wife. Now I'm wondering how the heck I'm going to fit training for ultras into the schedule?? Maybe after your Slam is complete and you are searching for something to blog about this winter, you might have some advice? I'm starting to think that anyone who can fit all that in to their lives must be super-human.

Also, glad to read about your Sawtooth running for your Birthday. I love running and living in Idaho.

Theresa Schut

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

Great battle so far AJW , I see online u are 5 laps done and 1.118 behind Jorge ...keep digging!!

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

Congrats on 2nd AJW & ur SLAM, awesome year!!

a lot of DNF's from that race (more the half the field? -wow) ,looks like the heat slammed a lot of peeps, look forward to ur report & for us newbies maybe some insight on why so many DNF's & some tips to stay in the game.

Recover well & congrats again!

Архангел said...

software reviews is categorically a bite to is hurriedly accomplishment load of takers in recent time. Microsoft help desk software