Thursday, August 2, 2007

Vermont: My First Win!

“OK Andy, you have five miles left, be sure to savor it!”

These were my wife Shelly’s last words of encouragement as I left Polly’s, the final aid station at this year’s Vermont 100. I had been leading the race for nearly 80 miles. I was tired, aching, and absolutely full of a feeling I had never had before. I was going to cross the line first in a 100-mile trail race!

As has been described in these and other pages previously, I have a bit of a track record finishing just short of first place in 100 milers. In fact, my good friend and fellow runner Garett Graubins wrote a piece in the November, 2005 Trail Runner on exactly that theme. He ruthlessly titled the piece, “The Bridesmaid.” In the article Garett provided painful detail on the string of 2nd place finishes I had during 2004 and 2005. Needless to say, I had to admit the article and the subsequent attention gave me a bit of a complex. I was left contemplating the inevitable question:

Could I actually win one of these things?

I had run the Vermont 100 back in 2002 and 2003 and I knew it was a “runner’s course.” Even with the course changes this year I knew it would be fast. I also knew that there were some hungry guys in the field and I didn’t know for sure what I had in my legs.

I started out as I often do running gently and getting a sense of the day. An hour into the run a small group of runners had split ahead of the pack and we enjoyed the sunrise and the camaraderie. In that leading group were some talented and experienced 100-mile runners. Among them were Todd Walker, Jack Pilla, Glen Redpath and Jim Kerby. All these guys were capable of fast times and they all seemed a bit frisky. I tried to stick to my pre-race plan and just worked to run my race. As Shelly had nudged me to do the night before, “Run assertively, not aggressively.” It was a subtle distinction but an important one.

Having run Western States the month before I was truly inspired by Hal Koerner’s run and was thinking about that in the early miles of Vermont. Largely overlooked in the pre-race hype always surrounding Western States, Hal simply went out and ran off the front right from the start. It was one of the most impressive runs I have seen at Western States and given the course adjustments over the past two years, is worthy of consideration among the best. By the time I got to Michigan Bluff and learned that Hal had come through on record pace I knew the race was, at that point, for second place.

On the downhill heading toward the Taftsville Bridge at Mile 15 I thought about Hal’s run from the front and wondered:

Could I go off the front? Could I do that today?

Turning down to Taftsville on a short paved section I chatted briefly with my good friend Jim Kerby and could tell he was focused. I also could feel some spring in my legs and decided to stretch things out a bit on the one-mile downhill to the covered bridge.

With the exception of the few yards that Shelly walked with me over the next 13 hours, I ran the remaining 85 miles alone.

I was now in completely new territory. My head swirled in the ether of the unknown. After making a career out of hunting people down I was now the hunted.

“Run your race.” “Think of Hal.” “Be smart.” The self-talk was deafening. For the first time ever in a 100 miler I actually felt lonely.

By the 21 mile Aid Station I had a five minute lead, by mile 30 it was ten minutes and by 47 it was seventeen. I made a deal with myself to not look back.

“If you run your race there’s no reason to look back.” Again, haunted, or perhaps, inspired, by Hal, I changed the refrain, “You know Hal didn’t look back!” I put my head down and ran.

Shelly, meanwhile, was also in uncharted territory having to deal with, for the first time, a new animal, the “front runner.” Having become accustomed to my come-from-behind-strategy she never really had to think about the runners behind me only those ahead.

What was she to do?

Well, as we all attempt to do when we are thrust into the unknown, she improvised, basically waiting as long as she could at the aid stations after I'd gone through and then estimating how long it would take her to race to the next check point to meet me. It was fun but a totally new and somewhat disconcerting experience for both of us.

I did have the requisite “bad patch” around Mile 75 and coming into the Westwinds Aid Station at Mile 77 I was beginning to doubt the front-running strategy and lose a bit of faith in my legs. Was I succumbing to the “Bridesmaid Syndrome” once again? I thought perhaps I was but Shelly clearly had a different idea. Seemingly paying no attention to my mental state as I stumbled into the aid station muttering, “I’m tired.”
Shelly said simply, “That’s OK, drink this.” It was a painfully salty concoction of cold chicken broth with which I was all too familiar at this stage in a race. I knew better than to reject it. As I swallowed hard, I asked,

“What’s the gap.” There was a pause, a little longer than usual.

“20 minutes. Everybody looks strong, especially Jim.” I knew what that meant. It was basically code for “get out of here now!”

I took off. About 20 minutes later the salt kicked in, I downed two gels and I felt like myself again. I don’t think much time was gained after that.

Looking back now, the race itself didn't feel that different than others except that I had no one in front of me to pass. So, after about 85 miles, I decided to race the clock, and the demons of the bridesmaid. With a sub-16 hour goal I thought I'd be motivated and knowing the guys behind were chasing hard kept me focused.

In the end I did savor those last five miles and felt exhilarated and complete as I emerged from the woods a winner. The truth is, I don't know if I can ever go "off the front" again but I now know what it feels like. I also know that I can finally put the bridesmaid to bed.

16 comments:

WTD said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
WTD said...

I'm glad you're blogging! The videos from Western States made me a fan, you seem to have a great attitude about running and other runners. Thanks.

Olga said...

What an absolutely awesome writing, just as an absolutely great race you ran, Andy! And 4 weeks after WS100, nevertheless! Thanks for letting me pick you for a win:) The strategy you guys have up ahead is amazing to hear about. Yet you are as normal as can be:)
See you at Waldo? I'll be working start/finish.

Scott Dunlap said...

Well deserved, Andy, and well run! Congrats on the big 100 win, and another fabulous finish at States.

You've always been such a great source of information for all of newbies, I am pleased to see you blogging for all of us to share!

Best on the recovery...

SD

kate said...

CONGRATS, ANDY!!!!! I think you are incredible and wonderful- what a wonderful win! Will enjoy your blog...!
I am running my first 50 -Headlands 50 - next Sat- at the ripe old age of 54!

RR said...

Congrats Andy!

Jasper Halekas said...

Congratulations, Andy. I never had any doubt you had it in you. It's gotta feel good to pick up that win, though. What amazes me the most is that you could pull of a run like that so soon after WS.

Mark Tanaka (Ultrailnakaman) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mark Tanaka (Ultrailnakaman) said...

Wow, great write-up and big congratulations on the overdue win! I find it funny that Scott compared you and me on his blog. You've raced longer and in many deeper, more competitive races than I, so hopefully your reward is that much juicier. You're having an awesome year-- keep it up!

Mark Tanaka (Ultrailnakaman) said...

Hey, Andy, technically that wasn't your first win, just your first 100-mile win (still a cause for celebration). Doesn't holding the Where's Waldo 100k record count for anything?

AJW said...

Thanks everybody for the responses. Olga, I will see you at Waldo where I plan to run a training run. Jasper, I actually think I ran well at VT because of WS. I seem to enjoy a 4 week "bounce" after running a 100. Mark, you are right, it's not my first win but it is my first win in a 100 and I put those in a "special category." Of course, you beat Kulak so you get bonus points for that:)

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

Congrats Andy, great race report and way to close it out!!...

I am a newbie doing my first 50 miler in th Tetons... i have an extensive resume, I did a 5k in 97' -LOLOL

I do know this will be a battle of highs & lows and I draw inspiration from all of you Ultra runners and ur strength to move forward ...thanks

I to love ur WS video finish --so cool, especially when U said "Oh wait I have to puke soon" ahhh just says to me U have it ur best....

darkcloud said...

Hi Andy.
Just found your blog. I have meaning to e-mail you. Congratulations on both your race at WS and the big win at Vermont. What a terrific year. I am actually running again and training hard for DCFT 50. Enjoying the trails out here in Bend after a long break. I hope you and Shelly and the boys are doing well and enjoying Ketchum.
Rob Edde.....

kelly said...

Great job at Vermont, Andy! Must feel good to put the Bridesmaid to bed, huh? Awesome finish at States, too.

Rajeev said...

Congratulations on your first 100 win! It was long overdue.

Rajeev

Архангел said...

IT News is absolutely amazing to is rapidly reach lot of takers most recently. Microsoft help desk software